Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Have a Family Memory Night!

Remember slide projectors?

One of my favorite things to do as a child was to watch my dad pull out his slide projector, set up the screen, turn out the lights, and eat popcorn my mom made in the skillet.  I LOVED sitting on the couch with my mom while my dad advanced the slides. There was no music to interrupt the conversation my parents had about each photo. Most of the slides were from before I was born, or they were from a time I was so young I couldn't remember. I also vividly remember the sound of the slide projector advancing to the next picture and smell that would fill the room from the projector's bulb heating up.  While I believe the days of the slide projector are long gone, the days of the slide show are not.

I hope you have memories like this from your youth. Whether you do or not, why not make memories like this with the family you have now? Even if you didn't have nights like this growing up, you can still start a tradition now!


If you're still reading this post, you are at least entertaining the idea of a family memory night. Good. Let me give you some ideas.
  1. If your family likes popcorn, learn how to pop it using a skillet or an old fashioned popcorn popper. It doesn't have all the junk in it (not saying it's healthy) and it just tastes better. Don't get hung up on this...use microwave popcorn if you prefer. The goal is to spend family time together. Eat Rotel and tortilla chips for all I care! Here is a recipe for popcorn:
  2.  Find your old slides and pictures.  You can actually sit at the kitchen table and go through the pictures together, or you can scan them (a must for the slides unless you have a projector) and watch them on your computer, phone, tablet, etc. You can even burn them to a DVD/Blu-ray and watch them on a large screen. REMEMBER: If you're going to physically handle the photos make sure all of the grease from the popcorn has been wiped off your hands!!!!!!
  3. Find your old 8mm reels and convert them to DVD/Blu-ray. They are fun to watch, but after years of storage there's a good chance they are a little brittle and will break IF you have a projector (that works) to show them on.
  4. Find your VHS/Beta/and home movie tapes and convert them to DVD/Blu-ray. I bet you don't own a Beta player. I'm pretty sure you don't have a VHS player. And there's a good chance you can no longer play your camcorder tapes.
Gemini Multimedia can assist you in transferring all of the above to a digital format. What we cannot do is assist you in making the popcorn unless you want to burn your house down! And while we'd love to help you get your analog media transferred to a digital format, there are plenty of places that can do that for you. Just do it! (Please)

I really hope you plan and follow through with a family memory night. I think you'll be surprised at how much fun it can be!!!!!

For additional help planning your night feel free to contact me at (901) 213-7890 or e-mail at ande@geminimm.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment