Tuesday, August 20, 2013

"That's a Great Photo! You Must Have a Nice Camera!" (UGH!)


Ok ok ok...I DO have a nice camera! I have nice equipment in general. I have a nice video camera, I have nice speedlights (flashes), I have nice studio lights, I have nice cameras. My equipment bags...eh, I probably need new ones, but yes...they are nice, too!  It is not the most advanced equipment, but it most definitely is nice. However...

It's a not the camera...it's me. I know how to expertly use every single piece of photo/video equipment I own. I have spent money and time learning the intimate details of my camera. I've shut myself in my closet and changed the settings with all the lights turned out. Saying a picture I took is the result of my "nice"camera is like saying:

"Wow! That's a beautiful painting! You have nice brushes!"
"Yum! This soup is EXCELLENT! You have a nice pot!"
"What a beautiful new bar you've built! I tell ya...those are some nice saws you have!"
"That's a great haircut! Your stylist must have great scissors!"
"What a beautiful brochure! Your printer is so awesome!"

That being said, my point is not so much to gripe, but to let you know that you don't need to have the "best" or "most expensive" equipment to take great pictures. You don't even need to be a photographer! You just need to know the details about HOW your equipment works. The more you know, the better you'll be.

So...what are some ways to get to know your camera better? Well...I'm glad you asked!


  • Find a mentor. (See "The FIRST Step To Becoming A Professional Photographer Is...")
  • Read the user guide that came with your camera and keep it in your camera bag. If you don't have a camera bag, get one. Like NOW!
  • Buy another, more in depth book about your camera. I LOVE the "...for Dummies" books.
  • Put your camera in full automatic mode and PAY ATTENTION to the settings in different environments. Then play around with those settings in manual mode and see what happens.
  • Go into a closet, turn the lights out, and try to make setting adjustments in the dark. Sure, you might be able to see the screen, but will you know where all of the buttons/knobs are when you need them?
  • You'll also want to learn how to process photos using editing software.  I use Lightroom ($149) and Serif PhotoPlus X6 ($89).
  • Lastly...PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE!!!!! Take your dog to the park. Take your kids to the zoo. Take your wife out to dinner. Then take pictures. Lots of pictures.
  • Do you have a speedlight?   Do the same thing with it!
The goal is to increase your knowledge of your camera so you do not have to rely on your camera's automatic settings. Once you get to be an expert with your camera the quality of your photos will improve!

Then people will tell YOU what a nice camera YOU have!  ;-)

If you have any questions or have an event you'd like to hire a photographer/videographer for, send an e-mail to ande@geminimm.com or call (901) 213-7890.

"You'll smile when I flash you!"

No comments:

Post a Comment