Friday, January 17, 2014

Gonna Shoot for Free? Fine. DO IT INTENTIONALLY!

Most all professional photographers and videographers started out offering services for free to help build portfolios. How can you show someone your work if you don't have a portfolio?  Shooting for free has it's advantages and disadvantages. I did the same thing starting out, but I shot for free intentionally.  I sought out venues and events I wanted to shoot and I set the rules of what I was going to shoot. The event coordinators knew I was coming because I had asked their permission.  Once I had a particular type of event in my portfolio, no more freebies.  Well, I still have my passions that I will sometimes shoot for free IF I WANT TO, but I don't do free shoots as a rule.  The one I do are on MY terms.

Why do I care to bring this up now?  I've been negotiating with a client over copyright and licensing for a video project.  I simply don't give away my copyright.  If I do, my client is looking at a hefty price tag, usually with three zeroes in it.  When I brought that up with my client she immediately said, "If we can't get something worked out on licensing then I'll just use someone else who will shoot for free and more than likely just give me the right to do whatever I want to with the footage."  I was referred to this job by another pro photographer.  When I asked the client who was shooting stills she said, "Well, there will probably be four or five people just show up and take pictures.  I'll use the best of what they give me."  I was floored.  Then I realized it was not her fault and I got REALLY REALLY REALLY mad at photographers and videographers who just "show up", do their thing, give their (usually crappy) work away, and go to the next venue/event and do the same thing.

Here's my unasked for advice: (Yes, I'm venting!)
  1. Mentor up!  Find a mentor and work something out where you learn, he/she benefits, and you build your portfolio.  Yes photography is an art, but it is also a trade.  A mentor will, or should, help keep clients expectations in check while you're starting out.
  2. If you're going to do free jobs, PLEASE limit them.  Not only do you lose the right to complain if you're not making money, but you're perpetuating the idea that photographers/videographers will do shoots for nothing, or next to nothing.  Some of us actually bust our donkeys to make a living at this. We lose jobs to the free-shooters, then hear the horror stories about bad they did.  The free shooters and the pros look bad.
  3. If you're going to do free jobs, shoot for free and sell the images.  Why would you want to leave money on the table?????
  4. If you find yourself doing more free jobs than paid jobs...just stop.  Either start charging or get out of this business.
Again, I'm not saying never do free jobs.  I'm just saying stay in control of them and don't do them all the time.

Now, have a great weekend! 

2 comments: